Following several attempts to take back a park that had been taken over by a faction of the National Union of Road Transport Workers, a sporadic shooting occurred at Old Garage motor park in Osogbo on Monday.
According to reports, there were other attacks on motor parks around Oke-Baale, Ilesa Garage, and Old Coca-Cola Area all within the Osogbo metropolis, where hoodlums attacked some union members reporting for duty, which has caused panic among residents who were just commencing the day’s work, as they scampered to safety to avoid being hit by bullets.
The clash was said to have spread later on to the Ayetoro area, where a member of the union was reportedly attacked with a matchet and had to abandon his vehicle and ran to safety, after which the vehicle was later set on fire by his assailants.
Recall that about 10 members of the NURTW were reportedly injured across Osun when the forceful takeover started on Sunday, and the group behind the attacks was said to have recruited hoodlums and stormed the state secretariat of the union in Osogbo shortly after the inauguration of Senator Ademola Adeleke as Osun governor.
As of the time of filing this report, the alleged attackers were said to be occupying the secretariat located along Osogbo/Ilesa road.
It was also learned that the hoodlums behind the attack injured the state Financial Secretary of the union, Sunday Akinwale, and vandalized the building as well as some vehicles parked within the premises.
While speaking with newsmen regarding the same incident, the State Secretary of the Union, Osundiya Akinsola, confirmed the attack, saying he was ferried to safety by some policemen who responded to distress calls when the attackers stormed the area.
He further said, “Our Financial Secretary, Sunday Akinwale, was attacked. Our state secretariat was vandalized.
Our park at Old Coca-Cola Area in Osogbo was attacked, and our members at Ijetu Motor park in Osogbo were attacked.
“A bus and a Toyota Sienna vehicle belonging to the Financial Secretary parked within the premises of our state secretariat were vandalized. Those that perpetrated the attack are still there presently.
“In all, over 10 members were attacked and injured. This number included those that were attacked in Ilesa town. Those that carried out the attack wanted to forcefully take over the leadership of the union.
“The ring leader of the attack is not one of our officials. He wanted to forcefully take over the union. He has shown interest in becoming the State Chairman and his ambition is against the Constitution of our union. We have informed the police, the Department of State Services, and even the family of the new governor about the activities of these miscreants.”
Governor Sanwo-Olu invites DSS to join investigation into Mohbad’s death
Lagos State Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, has extended an invitation to the Department of Security Services (DSS) to collaborate in the ongoing investigation into the tragic death of the late singer, Ilerioluwa Aloba, popularly known as Mohbad.
This announcement was conveyed through an official statement signed by Lagos State Commissioner for Information and Strategy, Gbenga Omotoso, on Tuesday.
Mohbad, a former signee of Naira Marley’s Marlian Records, passed away last Tuesday at the age of 27, leaving his family, friends, and fans in mourning.
In the statement, the Lagos State government expressed its heartfelt condolences to Mohbad’s family and fans, acknowledging the profound loss of a young and promising talent in the fiercely competitive music industry.
The statement read,
- “We feel the pains of losing such a talented and promising young man, who made a name for himself in a highly competitive industry. May the Almighty grant his soul rest and comfort his bereaved family and fans.”
In a concerted effort to ensure a thorough and comprehensive investigation into the circumstances surrounding Mohbad’s untimely death, Governor Sanwo-Olu has taken the initiative to involve the Department of Security Services (DSS).
The aim is to widen the scope of the inquiry through inter-agency collaboration and the utilization of state-of-the-art technology to uncover the truth.
Governor Sanwo-Olu has issued a directive that all individuals who may have played any role in events leading up to Mohbad’s tragic death be held accountable and face legal consequences after a meticulous investigation.
The inclusion of the DSS in the investigation underscores the determination of the Lagos State government to achieve transparency and justice in the inquiry, with a commitment to bringing those responsible to account.
The state government also implores anyone who possesses vital information that could assist the investigative process to come forward and share their insights with the investigative team.
Furthermore, the government emphasizes the need for the investigating team to guarantee the confidentiality and protection of all witnesses who may provide essential information or indicative evidence to aid the process.
Meanwhile, in response to Mohbad’s passing, his management announced a candlelight procession and tribute night to honour the late artist.
The move comes as fans and sympathizers continue to call for a thorough investigation into the cause of his death.
The management expressed gratitude for the outpouring of love from fans worldwide and those who have organized events in their communities to pay respects to Mohbad. They invited everyone to join them in the candlelight procession and tribute concert to remember and celebrate the artist’s life.
University of Lagos Associate Professor accused of rape by female undergraduate
In a disturbing development, a female undergraduate student, whose identity has been withheld, has come forward with allegations of rape against an Associate Professor in the Department of Botany at the University of Lagos, Akoka.
The accused lecturer has been identified as Dr Akeem Kadiri, as the victim alleged that the incident took place during a visit to Dr Kadiri’s office to address concerns related to her academic results.
Instead of addressing her academic issues, the undergraduate alleged that Dr. Kadiri sexually assaulted her on August 16, 2023.
As expected, the victim reported the incident to the Inclusive Social Welfare and Empowerment Foundation (InclusiveSWEF), a non-governmental organization.
InclusiveSWEF subsequently filed a formal complaint with the Gender Unit of the state police command and in a swift response to the issue, the Officer in Charge of the Gender Unit secured a warrant of arrest for Dr Akeem Kadiri through the state High Court.
The Vice Chancellor of the University of Lagos has also been brought into the investigation.
Confirming the incident, Benjamin Hundeyin, the State Police Public Relations Officer, stated, “He is to appear in court in the coming days.”
The University of Lagos has acknowledged the ongoing investigation and in a statement by the spokesperson/Head of the Information Unit for Unilag, Mrs Adejoke Alaga-Ibraheem, said,
- “UNILAG Management, on August 28, received a letter from the Nigeria Police Force, inviting an employee of the university for questioning. The employee was immediately informed of the development and advised to comply.”
She further added,
- “On August 29, the employee complied. While we are not yet privy to the full details of the incident that led to the arrest of the employee, we are fully aware that the investigation is ongoing, and we are cooperating with security agencies to ensure that the matter is resolved in the interest of justice.”
BREAKING: Tinubu Holds Emergency Security Meeting (Video)
President Bola Tinubu has presided over an emergency security meeting at the Presidential Villa.
However, the details of the meeting have not been made public.
In attendance were top military officials, including General Christopher Musa, Chief of Defence Staff; Lieutenant General Taoreed Lagbaja, Chief of Army Staff; Air Marshal Hassan Abubakar, Chief of Air Staff; and Vice Admiral Emmanuel Ogalla, Chief of Naval Staff.
The Ministers of Defence were also present.
The meeting precedes President Tinubu’s scheduled departure today for the G-20 summit in New Delhi, India, set for the 9th and 10th of the month.
It is expected that the presidnet was briefed on security situation in the country ahead of his trip.
Watch video here;
Tinubu Holds Emergency Security Meeting
President Bola Tinubu has presided over an emergency security meeting at the Presidential Villa. However, the details of the meeting have not been made public.
In attendance were top military officials, including General Christopher… pic.twitter.com/PlVwDhiYBT
— ARISE NEWS (@ARISEtv) September 4, 2023
Metro1 year ago
23-Year-Old Suspect Apprehended for Rape and Murder of OAU Graduate in Ogun State
Entertainment4 months ago
Netflix To Stop Subscribers From Account Sharing
News4 months ago
Breaking: Tinubu defeats Atiku as Supreme Court dismisses suit to disqualify Shettima
Business8 months ago
Central Bank of Nigeria Directs Customers to Reject Old Naira Notes from Banks
News4 months ago
BREAKING: President Bola Ahmed Tinubu sworn in as Nigeria’s 16th president
Metro4 months ago
Breaking: FG To Meet NLC Today Over Fuel Subsidy Removal
Metro1 year ago
Breaking: Like Deborah Samuel, Commercial Motorcyclists Beat, Burn Sound Engineer To Death In Lagos Due To Disagreement Over N100 Balance (Photos)
Metro12 months ago
Police In Show Of Force Ahead Of Peter Obi’s Rally In Lekki (Photos)